Wednesday, May 26, 2010

World Cup: Brian Ching out!

Well, I was close. I predicted the following players would not make the final team:

Marshall, Pearce, Bedoya, Kljestan, Rogers, Findley, Johnson

I got 6 out of 7 right. 

US Coach Bob Bradley surprised nearly every US soccer fan and journalist by dropping Brian Ching. The Flyin' Hawaiian was considered by me and most others as a lock to make the team. Instead, Bradley elected to take Robbie Findley, a speedy forward who has never really shown anything is a US shirt. 

It must have been a surprise to Ching as well; an ESPN soccer writer posted this on his Twitter feed: 

Got a vmail from Brian Ching while i was on flight. Said he was "disappointed and a little crushed." Didn't say why Bradley cut him. 


It's easy to forget when talking about highly paid pro athletes -- who we boo and cheer and yell at and talk about -- that they are regular people too. I've never met Ching but everything I've seen and read about him is that he is a humble, hard-working, stand-up guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment